DYNO is a pre-workout supplement produced in the US by RSP Nutrition. The product is marketed with the promise of “explosive” results and the main promised benefits are:
- Intense Energy
- Extreme Pumps
- Increased Work Capacity
The formulation contains clinical doses of agmatine sulfate and citrulline malate, to provide better pumps. It also provides as much caffeine as four cups of coffee; so the promise of intense energy should hold good.
Key Ingredients & Blend Potential
Many of the main ingredients are housed in proprietary blends; a fact that makes it near impossible to speculate on the benefits that may be provided. However the DYNO formulation also contains a number of vitamins and minerals and the inclusion rates supplied suggest an effective mix.
- Vitamin C boosts the immune system and aids recovery so, although not a main ingredient, its presence here has merit.
- The DYNO formulation also boasts a total of five B Vitamins—B3, B6, B5, B12, and Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).
B Vitamins are a common inclusion in pre-workout formulations because they are known to be essential for an efficient metabolism and can assist protein synthesis.
- Calcium is often associated with strong bones, and quite rightly so, but it also improves muscle contraction abilities and reduces the likelihood of cramps.
- Citrulline Malate and Agmatine Sulfate are both well respected Nitric Oxide boosters that are often praised for their abilities to increase stamina and provide a better pump.
- Beta Alanine has been scientifically proven capable of increasing endurance, studies show 2,000 mg to be the optimum dose and that’s exactly what is provided here.
The Focus Blend contains unspecified quantities of:
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine
Taurine has a good reputation as a stimulant, and is a common ingredient in energy drinks so, inclusion rate permitting; it should be able to provide some of the promised focus and some extra energy as well.
L-Glycine can offer many benefits and some studies show it can reduce fatigue and improve cognitive function. L-Tyrosine has a good reputation as a performance enhancer and N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine is an L-Tyrosine provider that is generally considered to be easier to absorb and will, therefore, get to work faster.
In theory, the Focus Blend should live up to its name, but the lack of inclusion rates still muddies the waters a little.
The Acceleration Matrix contains unknown ratios of several ingredients that are commonly used energy providers.
- Caffeine is renowned for its powers as both an energy provider and as a focus enhancer, so it could have been an equally good fit for the Focus Blend.
- Dicaffeine Malate is a combination of Caffeine and Malic Acid that supposedly offers benefits pure caffeine does not, but the claims have never been scientifically proven.
- N-Methyltyramine Hydrochloride can be useful for enhancing the effects of caffeine, but 20-30 mg is required to deliver noticeable results. Higenamine Hydrochloride also potentiates the abilities of caffeine, and Bioperine enhances the absorption of other ingredients, but the question arises once again—has enough been included?
- Rutaecarpine is often used as a Nitric Oxide booster, and it does appear to have potential, but all of the supportive studies to date have been conducted on rats, not humans.
- Rhodiola Root has a lot of credibility as a performance enhancer. That being said, in most studies [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15256690] involved a higher dose.
How to Take DYNO
Combine one (8.1g) scoop of DYNO with 6-10 oz. of cold water and consume 15-30 minutes before training is commenced. The recommended dose of one scoop should not be exceeded in any 24-hour period.
There are a few nay-sayers, but customer feedback is predominantly good.
Two typical customer comments read:
“This would easily be the best pre-workout I have used. I’ve tried a number over the years and this one definitely stands out. It has a great ingredient profile, gives good energy and mental awareness, and no noticeable crash. Plenty of caffeine and beta alanine but no jitters or face tingles.”
“I felt explosive and more focused for sure. It tastes great and I definitely felt a big difference compared to my coffee in the morning. The strawberry is good and don’t need more than 1 scoop.”
Side Effects & Health Issues
DYNO is not suitable for pregnant or nursing mothers. Anyone who has existing health issues should seek medical advice prior to commencing supplementation. People who are taking medications are advised to be similarly cautious and RSP point out the formulation will not be a good option for anyone who is sensitive to caffeine.
DYNO is sold without a money back guarantee.
Purchasing Options & Considerations
DYNO can only be purchased from the Bodybuilding.com online store and from the manufacturer’s website.
Customers who buy directly from the manufacturer are only offered the option of purchasing (30 serving) tub of strawberry flavoured DYNO.
However, more options are available to people who opt to purchase from Bodybuilding.com
The pack sizes options are:
5 servings ($9.99)
30 Servings (£29.99)
The flavour choices are Fruit Punch, Lemonade, and Strawberry. Blue Razz is also an option, but at the time of this review it was only available in the smaller pack size.